As one of the north Europe’s most vibrant cities, Helsinki, Finland, is a key destination for design, culture, research and education. It has also been ranked the most “livable city” in the world, and has a thriving technology community.
This week, Helsinki is hosting the ICANN’s 56th Public Meeting (ICANN56), where more than 1,500 participants are expected to attend to learn more about the transformation of the Internet from a policy perspective.
Interlink Co., Ltd., the official operator of the .earth domain registry, will be attending ICANN56, which prompted the Voices.Earth blog to create a post about the top eco-friendly attractions in this fine city.
In addition to being a leader in design and innovation, Helsinki is one of the greenest cities in the world. More than one-third of the city consists of parks and other green areas and is surrounded on three sides by the sea. So, this is the perfect destination for eco-tourism.
Here’s our vote of the top eco-friendly attractions in Helsinki:
- The Kivinokka: Ideal for bird watchers, this recreational area includes walking trails, a swimming beach and hundreds of small cottages in well-maintained allotment gardens.
- The Uutela: Surrounded by the sea on three sides, and as one of Helsinki’s best-preserved nature parks, the Uutela attracts visitors from all over the Helsinki capital area.
- Helsinki Zoo: Believed to be one of the oldest zoological parks in the world, the Helsinki Zoo boasts more than 150 species of animal from habitats ranging from the northern tundra to the tropical rainforest
- Seurasaari Open-Air Museum: The open-air museum of Seurasaari is located on a beautiful green island close to the heart of Helsinki. The museum showcases the traditional Finnish way of life with cottages, farmsteads and manors of the past four centuries that have been relocated from all around Finland.
- Natural History Museum (Luonnontieteellinen Museo): This museum offers botanical, zoological, geological and paleontological specimens from all over the world, and provides research in the fields of biology and geology.
We hope that ICANN56 attendees have a productive week, but can also find some time to visit some of these special destinations.
BoatSearch.Earth Brings the Dream of Owning a Boat to Life
Play Episode: 32 | 12:9 |
On-the-Ground Update on .Earth Second Anniversary Re-Foresting Campaign
Play Episode: 31 | 7:33 |
Planet Alpha Corp. Offers Transformative Carbon Offsetting Solutions
Play Episode: 30 | 15:2 |
ConsciousCreations.Earth Founder Discusses the Path to True Transformation
Play Episode: 29 | 11:19 |
Replenish.Earth and 'Giving More Than We Are Taking'
Play Episode: 28 | 23:24 |