While not always top-of-mind when it comes to their environmental impact, lawn fertilizers and pesticides can create long-term damage to local eco-systems. Chemical runoff from residential, sports turfs, and farms affects everything from rivers, streams and even the ocean.
Since 1869, Nate Clemmer’s family has been in the fertilizer business, and now he has taken this legacy into a new era as CEO of BranchCreek.Earth, a provider of regenerative organic fertilizers.
The name of the company came from the creek behind his house, which served as the inspiration for moving into providing safer fertilizer alternatives for residential, agriculture, campuses, playing fields and golf courses. BranchCreek.Earth also offers chloride-free products for melting snow and ice.
Nate came across the .Earth domain by seeing someone with a .Earth email address, and instantly a light-bulb went off for him.
“I was doing an online course with Kiss the Ground and one of the participants had a .Earth email address,” said Nate. “I thought that’s perfect, that’s exactly what we need … I don’t want to be a .com. I went online and reserved the domain within seconds. It’s like a match that fell from the sky.”
Following are highlights from our interview:
- Nate’s background in the fertilizer industry, and how he’s transitioning the business into the regenerative organics arena. (:50)
- About the line of solutions available from Branch Creek. (3:45)
- How customers and the industry have responded to the organization’s organic solutions. (7:00)
- How the Branch Creek solutions reduce overall lawn and soil care costs. (12:00)
- Why Nate chose to use a .Earth domain name. (14:00)
- What the future holds for Branch Creek. (14:41)