Protecting Communities From Plastics Act Aims to Cut Plastic Production
A wide-range of .Earth web domain users are already addressing the current plastic crisis
It’s common knowledge that our world is being over-run by plastics, especially in our oceans. According to the Earth Day Network, two garbage trucks of plastic are dumped into our oceans every minute, and by 2050, there will be more plastic in the oceans than there are fish.
The increase in overall plastic production is also tightly linked to reliance on fossil fuels, which causes further harm to our environment and communities.
To counter this issue, U.S. Senator Cory Booker (D-N.J.) recently introduced the Protecting Communities from Plastics Act, which aims to address the plastic production crisis fueling climate change and perpetuating environmental injustice.
This new legislation is a great start in terms of addressing today’s plastic crisis. Fortunately, a wide-range of .Earth web domain users are already working on ways to keep our planet safe from plastic pollution. Here are some examples:
- GreenBack.Earth: This company recycles post-consumer plastic packaging with advanced, environmentally sound technologies to provide key elements for fair circular supply chains. Learn more here.
- PRLS.Earth: This organization is creating a land- and sea-based waste recovery infrastructure that integrates islands and coastal communities with waste collection, processing and recycling. Learn more here.
- PlasticFootPrint.Earth: This organization has developed a methodology that measures plastic leakage to put an end to plastic pollution. Learn more here.
- SYSTEMIQ.Earth: A recent report from SYSTEMIQ and the Pew Charitable Trusts shows plastic flowing into the ocean expected to triple by 2040, but immediate action could stem the tide by more than 80 percent. Read the full report here.
- Portfolio.Earth: This organization recently published a study about the financial sector’s role in providing loans to the global plastics supply chain. Read the full report here.
If your organization is developing solutions for tackling today’s plastics problem, the .Earth web domain can serve as the foundational platform for promoting your efforts.
To learn more about the .Earth domain, visit Voices.Earth. In addition, many organizations and individuals are sharing their voices about the benefits of a .Earth domain in our Voices.Earth podcast series.