BrisbaneTrailUltra.Earth Hosts Largest and Most Prestigious Ultra Trail Running Event
In this Voices.Earth podcast interview, we speak with Shona Stephenson, Managing Director of the Brisbane Trail Ultra (BrisbaneTrailUltra.Earth), one of the biggest and most prestigious ultra trail running events hosted in Brisbane, Australia.
Ultra trail running is high-endurance sporting event that combines running and hiking on mountains, hills and other unpaved surfaces. Not for the feint of heart, ultra trail marathons and competitions are very rigorous, and are often cater to the most elite athletes who can handle up to 110 km runs.
Brisbane Trail Ultra is one of the toughest trail ultra marathon and trail run festival set in the stunning 36,000 hectares of sub-tropical rainforest and eucalyptus woodlands in the Brisbane Hinterland in the D’Aguilar National Park.
First hosted in 2019, the event attracted more than 540 entrants from all over the world. However, with the COVID-19 pandemic, the event was postponed to October 2020, and they are now hosting a number of virtual events.
With the website BrisbaneTrailUltra.Earth, Shona Stephenson, Managing Director of the Brisbane Trail Ultra, found that the .Earth domain fit into the ethos of the event.
“As a trail running event, in everything we do, we think of the environment first, so we jumped on .Earth immediately,” said Shona. “If we have the .Earth domain, it shows that we are sustainable, and it also reinforces how we support Rural Fire Services (RFS) in the wake of the Australian wildfires.”
Following are highlights from our interview:
- About the Brisbane Trail Ultra and Festival. (:40)
- How the event is also hosting Australian Ultra Runners Association Long Course (100km) Trail National Championships. (3:03)
- More about trail running and how it’s a growing trend. (4:38)
- How they are hosting virtual events with the Brisbane Trail Ultra being postponed until October. (7:19)
- Why the Brisbane Trail Ultra chose to use a .Earth domain. (10:00)
- What the future holds for the Brisbane Trail Ultra. (13:41)
To learn more about the Brisbane Trail Ultra, please click here. In addition, if you are hosting a trail running event, and would like to use a .Earth domain name, please click here.
Leave a Comment